TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 2 FEYENOORD 2 1974 – UEFA Cup Final 1st Leg, White Hart Lane 21st May 1974

Picture Courtesy of

The UEFA Cup final of 1974 was unusually the last of the European Finals to be played, taking part the week after the European Cup Final. Once again it involved an English club as Spurs looked to regain the trophy they had won two seasons earlier against Wolves.

The match was not shown live, BBC having a Sportsnight Special to show the highlights with Barry Davies in the commentary box. I have been unable to find any lengthy footage of the game, and have had to rely on some brief highlights on YouTube.

Spurs took the lead five minutes before the break with a header from Mike England. The Welshman ghosted in from the far side of the box to head home a free kick taken by Evans. The lead didn’t last too long with Wim Van Hannegan curling in a delightful free kick two minutes before the break.

Spurs regained the lead with a carbon copy of England’s opener, this time with the Dutch keeper missing his punch and a combination of England and Van Duele bundling the ball into the net. But with just five minutes remaining, Feyenoord struck a decisive blow in the tie, with a second away goal. A slick break culminated in a delightful through ball from Christiensen to De Jong, the Dutch man stroking the ball across Jennings into the net at the far post.

The match was firmly in the Dutch clubs hands, with the second leg to follow in Rotterdam just eight days later. It would be a night which would shame English football and set an alarming precedent which would be replicated in the years to follow.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s